Psalm 33 - Praise from Upright is Beauteous
The heading, "through David a Song, a Psalm", comes from DSS. LXX has "through David". MT has no heading.
I love this psalm. My favorite part is the last 3 verses, culminating in a crying out prayer to the Lord.
This psalm is written entirely in the plural, especially vv 18-22
- The 1st 3 verses of this psalm tell us how it should be sung.
- "His" is literally, "the LORD's".
- It is not that the Lord cannot hear us, but that it is natural for great exultation to express itself in the loudest manner. Men shout at the sight of their kings: shall we offer no loud hosannahs to the Son of David? - C. H. Spurgeon
- Verses 4-5 gives the reasons for singing this psalm in the way described in the 1st 3 verses. These 4 reasons are expounded on in the rest of the psalm:
because of the Lord's upright words (vv 6, 8-9)
because of His faithful works (vv 7, 10-12, 16-17, 20-21)
because He loves righteousness and judgment (vv 13-15)
because the earth is full of His mercy. (vv 18-19, 22)
Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
We praise the Lord not just because He is all powerful, but mainly because we realize what kind of Person He is as seen by His word and works.
- "His mercy" is literally "the LORD's mercy".
This psalm is about the Lord's righteous judgment and His mercy. It is wonderful that both of these go together.
-"His breath" is literally "the breath of His mouth"
"stars" is literally "all their hosts."
- "waters" is literally "waters of the sea".
Waters of the sea" and "the deep" are negative. The Lord gathered the waters together in Gen 1:9-10
in order to create the dry land. He keeps the deep in storehouses so that it does not flood the earth again.
- "world" is literally "inhabitants of the world".
- This is an awesome reason to fear and stand in awe of the LORD and His word.
- As in the ancient time, the popular thought of the age is against God's word and His people. The thought of the age will be prevailing for a time, but the Lord will bring it to nought. Those of us who live in countries where we have the right to vote should vote against such thought and counsels. God's people should be the salt of the earth.
As the Lord held back the waters of the sea from flooding the earth in v7
, so he restrains the nations from accomplishing their thoughts.
"forever more" is literally "to generation and generation."
The Lord does not change His thoughts and counsels to go along with the current morality of the age. His word remains true.
He also helps His people as He did of old.
The Lord's choosing is forever unchangeable according to the previous verse.
- I translated yachad
literally as "together" as do YLT and the Stone Tanach. I think the meaning is that God created all human hearts to need one another. This goes along with the whole psalm being corporate.
LXX translates it as "alone". This could mean that LXX saw the Hebrew word yachid (an extra letter yod compared to yachad) instead of yachad. If yachid is the correct text, then the meaning would be that God created each heart individually. I don't think that is correct though because "their heart" is singular.
There is no DSS witness for this text.
- This verse reminds us that the Lord is watching us to protect us and also that He sees everything that we do and think. We are important to Him. This continues the thought of the previous psalm (Ps 32:8
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
lit. to preserve their soul from death and keep them alive in famine.
- I like that this prayer is not only dependent on God, but also according to our hope (Mat 9:29; etc
copyright 2013 voiceInWilderness.info
9/28/2013 Steve Miller created
Psalm 33 through David. a Song, a Psalm
Rejoice in the- LORD, ye righteous.
Praise from upright is beauteous.
Upon the harp His praises sing.
Sing psalms to Him upon ten strings.
Sing Him a new- song with your voice
Play skillfully with a loud noise.
For upright are- all the LORD's words.
In faithfulness are all His works.
2 5 Righteousness and- judgment loves He.
The earth is full of His mercy.
By the LORD's word, heaven made He,
and by His breath stars came to be
He gathers wa-ters in a heap,
in storehouses lays up the deep.
Let all of the- earth fear the Lord.
In awe of Him, stand all ye world,
because He spoke and so
He commanded, and so
He brings nations' counsels to nought;
of none effect makes peoples' thoughts.
The LORD's counsel stands forever,
thoughts of His heart forever more.
How blessèd is- that nation whose
God is the LORD, and whom He chose
4 to be His own inheritance,
a people for- Him to possess.
13 The LORD looks down from the heavens.
He beholds all the sons of men.
14 From His holy habitation
all those on earth He looks upon.
He fashions their- heart together.
All of their works He considers.
5 16 No king is saved by vast armies.
Much strength can't res-cue the mighty.
17 A horse is vain for your safety.
His great strength can't- deliver thee.
Behold the LORD's- eye is upon
those who fear Him and hope upon
His mercy, 19
to- preserve their soul,
keep them alive in times evil.
6 20 For the LORD our- soul is waiting.
He is our help, and shield is He
21 for our heart shall- rejoice in Him
for we trust in- His holy name,
On us, O LORD, be Thy mercy
according as- we hope in Thee.
According as- we hope in Thee,
on us, O LORD, be Thy mercy.
And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
this way you will go through.
I'll direct you and counsel you.
My eye is upon you.
Then he touched their eyes, saying, According to your faith, be it unto you.
1 Corinthians 3:8 But the planter and the waterer are one; but each shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.
Ephesians 3:20 But to him that is able to do far exceedingly above all which we ask or think, according to the power which works in us,
copyright 2013 voiceInWilderness.info
created 9/28/2013 Steve Miller